Note: WordPress now has a Tumblr importer. From your new WordPress dashboard, click on Tools > Import. Choose Tumblr, and follow the prompts to install the importer plugin. Then follow the prompts to import.
- The text and images inside the posts imported nicely.
- The images for the Tumblr image posts did not. I didn’t have very many, so I just copied them from my Tumblr, and then inserted them into the correct image posts.
- The post types had the correct Format type, except that the normal posts were labeled as “Aside,” instead of “Standard” in WordPress.
It might be useful to try adding the WooTumblog plugin to your WordPress before importing. I’m curious to know if that helps with the image import. So here’s how to import your Tumblr to WP:
- Go to Tumblr2WP and fill in your Tumblr details. For Permalinks, I selected “Tumblr text slug only,” and left all the rest at the defaults.
- Tumblr2WP creates an XML file for you to download to your desktop.
- Login to your WordPress, and in the left hand links, choose Tools and then Import.
- When you click on Posts in the left hand links, you should see all the imported Tumblr posts.
Note that I used Tumblr2WP when only 274 sites were exported. I’m sure improvements to the image post imports will happen soon.